Thursday, December 16, 2010

Talking to Strangers

I talk to myself while I’m cycling. Judging by the way my aunts always laughed at grandma, talking to yourself is probably something that I should try and hide. But I don’t, and neither do a lot of other Wellingtonians. Cycle-soliloquists are especially visible in Wellington due to the landscape. The slow hike up the steep hills expose these monologues. The daunting topography, has another side effect too, I sometime just park the bike and walk. And why not? everyone is going to hear me muttering anyway.  Walking also presents the opportunity to talk to others in ways that cycling around in traffic doesn’t. Recently, I had this conversation that I wouldn’t have had on a bike. 

Me: Hey Emily! (I wave to my friend across the street)
Emily: Oh, Hi!
(as I cross the street to chat with Emily I realize it’s not her)
Emily look alike: I didn’t know you live around here? Good to see you!
Me: yeah, right up the road, how are you? (I make snap decision to continue the charade and not to tell her we’ve never met)
Woman I’ve never met before:  I’m good. Yeah, just over there.
Me: great to see you but I’ve got to run (I want to go before she realizes we are strangers and things get awkward)
Complete stranger: sure, good to see you too!
Me: take care.

It was almost like talking to myself.

1 comment:

Enwip said...

Hi Bernadette! I'm planning a trip from Ulaan bataar to China. I planned to cross the border between China and Mongolia in the south west Bulgan(Mongolia) / Taskhin(China) cross border. Did you pass from there? I read is not allow for tourist, cna you tell me your experience? thank you a lot! Enwip! enwipiii@kataweb.com